Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Camiguin: Island Born of Fire

I just got back from a one day exploration of the island of Camiguin last May 30th. I’ve wanted to visit the place ever since but never got the chance due to my work’s very hectic schedule. Good thing my boss permitted my applied vacation leave and with my constant pleading to my husband, he finally agreed to use his remaining leave credit and be with me on my vacation. Of course, we brought along our 6 year old daughter, Pia who was all excited as well.

I always loved to travel that is why even with the knowledge that the trip to the island requires almost 10 hours, I never hesitated to take it. And so the trip started off….

We reached Benoni Port, Camiguin at exactly 6:30 AM on May 30th with a very lovely sunrise greeting us. It was enough to take away the exhaustion from the very long trip we just made.

Now, what did I love about Camiguin? Let me enumerate….

First, I love the coastal roads they have. The trip going to our ecolodge, Enigmata, which took about 30 minutes, didn’t bore me at all since the view and the beach definitely entertained me.

Second, Camiguin has lots of ancestral houses…and they can be found right in the main streets of the island and since I love antiques, I’m always left opened-mouth every time I spot one. Too bad, I was not able to take pictures of every house I saw but I got one though, the ancestral house of the Corrales family, a famous clan in the island.

Third, I love the oldie feeling of the Gui-ob Church Ruins. I love looking at the details of the walls of the church. You can still see shells and rocks that penetrated the walls, probably due to the eruption of the old volcano.

Fourth, their beaches are so inviting with bluish-greenish clear waters. You can’t help but be tempted to take a dip.

Fifth, I could laze in their coldest cold spring even at mid-day!!! You will never feel the heat of the sun when you’re sank in their cold spring pools.

Sixth, even how exhausting it was to climb the walkway to the old volcano, the experience of having reached the top and experiencing the 15 Stations of the Cross was very fulfilling. You’ll probably wonder how the people were able to get the statues up there.

Seventh, I loved having to experience sunset at the White Island, one of my best moments ever, especially with the fact that I spent it with Dennis and Pia, my best friends.

Eight, I loved the fact that I was able to finally stay and sleep in a treehouse which is a childhood dream of mine. A dream fulfilled in Camiguin. The house was filled with artistically made crafts… by creative hands and minds. A piece of art!

Ninth, I could sleep in their hot spring forever!!! It was truly therapeutic. All the exhaustion from our 1 day tour vanished after a 2 hour dip in the hot spring. I so loved it!!!

Tenth, I had one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten my whole life in Camiguin! We had lunch at the Sto. Niño Cold Spring…we had tinolang lapu-lapu, sinugbang songhan (my first time to eat this fish and it was incredibly delicious!) and deep-fried native chicken (so tasty!) To add, we had fresh bukos as beverages!!! Super sulit meal and all at Php 452.00 only.

Camiguin is indeed one of the best memories I have…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment