Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Kopi Luwak or Civet Coffee

One time, while I was doing some stuff at my station, my boss called me up and asked me if I would like to taste a coffee that is cat poop?

"Eh?!, I said." But then, curious as I was, I said sure. So I went to his office and he showed me his newly purchased bottle of Alamid Coffee also known as Civet Coffee or Kopi Luwak. He was already brewing and gave me a half-filled cup of it. Like any other brewed coffee, it's taste is much stronger compared to other processed coffees. When I got back to my table, I surfed the net right away about this coffee.

According to sources, only 500 kilograms of it are produced in the Philippines every year. Once roasted, the coffee beans sell for more than $115/kilogram. Whew!!! As to how this coffee is processed is definitely intriguing. The coffee beans are harvested, not from trees, but from the droppings of the palm civet (local name alamid), a nocturnal cat-like animal.

Yes, the beans in the picture are "droppings!" The animals eat the coffee cherries but can’t digest the beans and so they poop it out. The droppings are then harvested by hand from the forest floor. The beans are then cleaned up, air dried and roasted. And that's how the most expensive coffee in the world is produced.

1 Comment:

  1. L1z3L said...
    wow...interesting info claire..thanks for posting it! now i know, where it is came from. ;)

Post a Comment