Thursday, July 17, 2008

Mamma Mia!


"Take a trip down the aisle you'll never forget."

I went to see this movie yesterday and I really didn't have any great expectations on it but just as I heard the first song from Sophie, I fell in love with it right away and totally left me wanting to go to Greece!

It's the story of a a daughter’s quest to discover the identity of her father which brings 3 men from her mother’s past back to the island they last visited 20 years ago, told using hit songs by the popular '70s group ABBA.

Sophie is a 20 year old girl, living in an isolated but breath-takingly mesmerizing island of Greece (I read from a source the island's name is Skopelos), who never really got to know who her father is but has 3 possible candidates (Sam, Harry and Bill), ex-suitors of her mom, Donna. She longed that her dad would give her away on her wedding day so, without her mom's knowledge, she wrote to all 3 and unexpectedly, all 3 arrived. And that's when the real problem began. I'll leave the rest of the story for you to find out.



It's quite light actually but with the combination of the setting, the timeless music of Abba and the cast made the movie so unforgettably fun and superb. I was blown off by Donna's (Streep) performance especially with her Mamma Mia rooftop giddy girl dance. And her scenes with her dynamos, Rosie and Tanya, are equally hilarious.

I will have to give two thumbs up for Amanda Seyfried's voice, it's very lovely and clean. Streep and Brosnan though definitely could not pass as singers but then again, it didn't seem to matter, they gave out such excellent and brilliant performances just the same.


All in all, I enjoyed every second of it!!! Loved it and definitely get myself a copy.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment